Monday, December 22, 2008

Snow Shwarmas

Meg and I had another whirlwind weekend.
I took Friday off to run some erands and then picked Meg up and we were off to a house party. One hour of partying and we were headed back south to Shakopee. Yeah, we're fun.

Saturday was blizzard / wedding. The wedding was beautiful and we had a chance to hang out with Gina and Rich which is always fun. Sunday was Schwarmas and snow. We were able to spend a couple hours hanging with my relatives in St. Peter for Grandma Shirley's 80th birthday. They're really nice. My cousin Lexi makes a mean baked brie. We should definately try to get up to Brainerd to hang with Levi and Wendy, they would be alot of fun to visit.

Highlight: Hanging with the Donohoe's


Shawarma (Arabic: شاورما‎), also spelled Chawarma, Schawarma, Shawirma, Shwarma, Shuarma, Shawerma, Shoarma, Schwarma, Shoermeh, Siaorma, or Shaorma) is a Middle Eastern Arabic-style sandwich usually composed of shaved lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, beef, or a mixture of meats. Shawarma is a popular dish and fast-food staple across the Middle East, it has also become popular worldwide. Shawarma is known as guss in Iraq; it is similar to the gyros of Greece. Gyro, however, are typically made of pork meat, or less commonly chicken, although beef or lamb is usually used outside Greece and Cyprus.

The classic shawarma combination is pita bread, hummus, tomato & cucumber, and of course the shawarma. The additional toppings include tahini and amba.

1 comment:

Plains folk said...

I had a Shawarma once... it's actually been a running joke since 2004 on A's side of the family with a few of her cousins and an uncle of hers.

Long story short, long night of drinking, Andrea's cousins and Jagermister, a whole in the wall eatery in downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul that serves Shawarmas.

The next morning at 7:00 am had to move from my old place on Penn to the new place in Edina,1:00 pm vomitus from night before, 3:00 pm a wedding, 5:00 pm reception, 6:00 pm hang over is barely noticeable and I'm finally ready to eat again. The entire day I looked like death warmed over and I had a taste in my mouth that I can only describe as if I had just ate 2 tablespoons of chicken bullion from the Schwarma.

Thanks for the memory and I'm glad to hear that life is going well for you.